Sunday 27 August 2017

Dangerous Women .. By (Multiple Authors)



Dangerous Women is a combination of short-stories which was published in 2013 and edited by George R.R. Martin and Gardener Dozois. It is called a cross-genre anthology, that includes science-fiction, horror, romance, mystery, and fantasy combined.

The first volume contains a novella, "The Princess and the Queen", which reveals the origins of the civil war in Westeros, known as the Dance of the Dragons, pitting Targaryen against Targaryens and dragons against dragons, 200 years before the events of Game of Thrones. Other short stories include:

"Raisa Stepanova" by Carrie Vaughn
"I Know How to Pick 'Em" by Lawrence Block
"Neighbors" by Megan Lindholm
"Wrestling Jesus" by Joe R. Lansdale
"My Heart is Either Broken" by Megan Abbott
"Nora's Song" by Cecelia Holland

I am not sure what to say more about this book than saying that it was completely foolish of me to read it even after the bad reviews given by my friends. It was a complete trash and I suggest you all, not to fall for the author's name alone like I did.

The title itself is meaningless and is another misguided attempt to capture interest because there were plenty of men in it too and women, well, were not that dangerous at all. The only story worth reading was "I Know How to Pick 'Em", which has a charm and dark sense of humor that captivated my attention till the end and the best part was, the story was a perfect length. I am sure to add Lawrence Block's other books on my reading list. 

But, I honestly didn't like other authors work in this book, especially R.R. Martin's. It felt like a total drag of unwanted history of the seven kingdoms, that you are surely gonna give up reading way before the ending. 

I am glad I didn't spend money on this book and just got it out from a library. A seriously disappointing read!

Please check out this Blog Space for more reviews!!


No comments:

Post a Comment