Wednesday 11 January 2017

The Book Thief ... By Markus Zusak



Markus Zusak is an Australian writer and wrote this book in 2005. This book was acclaimed as a significant success among readers across the world and my opinion is not any different.

It is, in fact, a phenomenal read and is going to absorb your attention thoroughly. The first thing I would like to tell you is that the story is based on the period of World War II and the second interesting thing about it is that the narration of the story is given by "Death", who describes the anticipation of the wartime during which death and destruction is all one could think about. The last thing I would like to mention is, it is the story of a ten-year-old orphaned German girl named Liesel Meminger, who is adopted by a poor family during that period.

Liesel is a bright child and develops a passion for reading that her step-father, Hans constantly teaches and encourages her to do. In the midst of her destructive surroundings, her foster parents hide a Jewish man in the basement of their house, whom Liesel befriends and shares her stories with. She develops a habit of stealing books not only from the Mayor's house but also those that the Nazis are trying to destroy. The story continues with the description of the horrors that the country faced during the Nazi regime and how it takes a toll on Liesel's life and dreams. 

I absolutely loved this poignant novel with a unique story and eloquent narration that gives you the pleasures of reading English Literature. But for those who do not like reading fiction novels, especially the ones that is not fast-paced and easy-going and does not have a happy ending, I would recommend the movie by the same name because I believe that this story is worth reading or watching no matter what.

I would like to bring an end to my review on this book by quoting the profound words used by Death in this book that really provoked a great hatred for war in me, was - "I am haunted by humans".

Trust me when I say - This book is going to hit you like a Tsunami!


The Book Thief is available here. Please click on the link to read the e-book.


Happy Reading!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment